How to do CPR
If you witness a cardiac arrest, it is crucial to call 999 and start CPR immediately
Due to the current coronavirus outbreak, there are several important changes to CPR advised by the Resuscitation Council UK. If you find someone unconscious, follow these simple steps:
- Shake the person gently and shout for help.
- Call 999.
- Don’t put your face close to theirs. If you think there’s risk of infection, use a towel or a piece of clothing and lay it over their mouth and nose.
- Give chest compressions only – do not give rescue breaths.
- Continue until an ambulance arrives.
- After the ambulance crew have taken over wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand gel.
For more information on CPR please visit The British Heart Foundation Website.